Sunday, March 1, 2009

Visiting and some walking

We just came in from our morning walk - sun is out but it's 19 with a wind chill of 10! Hello March! Spring is right around the corner - can't you tell?

Thursday and Friday mom and I went to visit my cousin Wilson (and my aunt, uncle, and two human cousins and my other dog cousin Sandy)! The weather was supposed to be warm but cloudy. (Warm meaning in the 50s). As soon as we got there - it's about a 2-hour drive - we loaded up my aunt's car with the two big Goldens and me and headed off for the park. They have a nice park not far from their house - an almost two-mile walking path around a lake. The only bad part is that one section of the path goes close to a major highway - so you guessed it - I do lots of barking there. It was not warm at all - very windy - I loved it but mom and my aunt were complaining. After the walk we hung out at the house - the yard was too soppy for ball playing but I got to follow Wilson around every where he went in the house. On Friday it was even colder and windier and wetter, but mom and my aunt still took me for another walk at the park. Poor Wilson and Sandy had to stay at home - they are a lot more trouble than me since they are so big! After lunch mom and I left to drive back home - I am always happy to go visiting, but it exhausts me - I sleep soundly all the way home and then usually go to bed very early in the evening!

We found out during the week that we could go to a trial to get officially measured even if we are not entered in the trial - did you all know that? Now that I am two, I have to get measured twice to get my permanent height card. So mom and I got up early yesterday and drove to the same place where my trial was held two weeks ago - there was another trial this weekend. We were hoping to get measured by our instructor again - but she is sick with a very bad case of the flu and couldn't be there! So we decided to wait and go to get measured during a trial in March - we can't enter it because mom has to work. The next trial we plan to enter is on April 4th and 5th. Hopefully I will have my height card by then and it will say I am 14" or under!!!!!!

Then yesterday afternoon mom, dad and I went for a cold walk up at the lake where we frequently go - the temperature was in the upper 20s and mom was hoping that the ground would be frozen. Well, no such luck for her! We started out walking on a closed road that leads to the sailboat club but some stupid people had been there and broken a lot of glass on the road! Why? So we got off the road and took a grassy path. The path was cool but the ground was not frozen and there were puddles and mudholes every where! Soon I was pretty wet. The path leads down to the beach and the lake - at this time of year the beach is really big because the reservoir lake is low - so I had tons of room to run and run on the beach. Then I was covered in sand too. Mom almost had a heart attack when she saw how dirty I was getting but dad just laughed and laughed! I had a BLAST!!!!! I didn't care how dirty I got or how cold it was. The wind was terrible - mom's eyes were watering, her nose wouldn't stop running and her cheeks were fire-engine red! It would be great to have some photos or video of all this - wouldn't it? But who can take their hands out of gloves to do the picture-taking? When we finally got back to the car, mom got a towel to try to dry me off and found that my belly, legs and chest were covered in sandy, muddy icicles!! What a mess. There was nothing to do but put me in the car and go home!

Hope you all are having a fun and enjoyable weekend!

Gotta zoom!

Ricky

14 comments:

Natasha said...

Wow, I didn't know that dogs that aren't entered in the trial could be measured! That will help for Wall-e when he's 18 months. He's 13 3/4 right now, but I'll feel more certain about his height when he's officially measured.

Sounds like you've been having fun! the dogs and I have been dying for the snow to melt.

~Nat

Sara said...

I didn't know you could go get measured without trialing. Good to know!

Gotta love mudsicles. Sounds like you had fun.

Chris and Ricky said...

Well, I forgot to specify AKC trials - I don't know about USDAA or NADAC......

Marie said...

Yep, Rogue got both of her measurements for her permanent height card at trials that she wasn't entered in. We'll be hoping that you get another measurement of 14 or under. Zoe and Twist are both taller, so they have to jump 16". Raven and Rogue are right about your size and they both jump 12". Layla looks at this point like she may not even pass 11", which will put her in the 8" class. I've never had a sheltie running in that class before! LOL

Marie said...

Yep, Rogue got both of her measurements for her permanent height card at trials that she wasn't entered in. We'll be hoping that you get another measurement of 14 or under. Zoe and Twist are both taller, so they have to jump 16". Raven and Rogue are right about your size and they both jump 12". Layla looks at this point like she may not even pass 11", which will put her in the 8" class. I've never had a sheltie running in that class before! LOL

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

What a great fun time walking!! Lovely and sandy and muddy! I got muddy today too.

I hope you do measure under 14 inches. We thinks I will be in mediums, I dunno what it works out as for the over the sea difference.
~lickies, Ludo

Dawn said...

Yea Ricky! Sounds like a wonderful few days of walking in fun places! Didn't know we could get measured without registering for the trial. That was helpful to find out! Glad you got to visit with Wilson too!

Cowspotdog said...

You will make the 14 inches shorty.....just hunch a little like you did last time :) Sounds like you lots of fun on your walks even if the mom and didn't.

Simba said...

I hope so! HM knows I'm that fast on the flat - but going through weaves and stuff - we'll see!!

But I LOVE to go FAAAASSST!! esp. through the tunnel - my favourite!!

wags,

Simba

Simba said...

I hope so! HM knows I'm that fast on the flat - but going through weaves and stuff - we'll see!!

But I LOVE to go FAAAASSST!! esp. through the tunnel - my favourite!!

wags,

Simba

Simba said...

I hope so! HM knows I'm that fast on the flat - but going through weaves and stuff - we'll see!!

But I LOVE to go FAAAASSST!! esp. through the tunnel - my favourite!!

wags,

Simba

Simba said...

I hope so! HM knows I'm that fast on the flat - but going through weaves and stuff - we'll see!!

But I LOVE to go FAAAASSST!! esp. through the tunnel - my favourite!!

wags,

Simba

Dawn said...

Hey Ricky, No Katie hasn't learned to carry a dumbell. We are mostly training for our first novice Rally thing...but she added jumps last week because she wanted to see how we did. Didn't know we'd have to learn dumbell...sigh...I'm sure she's not going to understand that! :)

Matron said...

I'm looking forward to watching the agility and the flyball at Crufts dog show this week. Shelties are clever dogs, aren't they?