Thursday, April 2, 2009

Metro Park walk

Today was a gorgeous day - high in the low 70s and sunny! Makes you think spring is really here (as long as you don't watch the weather forecast and hear about the rain/snow mix predicted for Monday!). Mom and dad took me on my favorite Metro Park walk. We had a blast and saw lots of cool stuff - dad got photos of some of it:

The first part of the trail is through the woods and then you get out to this prairie area:
Garter snakes were out enjoying the sun - here's a bigger one that I scared out of the path:
And here's a baby one that we almost stepped on (you could hardly see him in the grass!):


There were some birds around that have come back from their winter sojourn - tree swallows, field sparrows and this eastern bluebird:
The pond which rarely has anything of interest in it had some Canada geese, a couple mallards, a couple of ring-necked ducks (not in this photo) and a pair of mute swans:


I smile a lot when I'm HOT:



We were really lucky to be able to get out and enjoy the weather today! Hope some of you did too!
Gotta zoom!
Ricky


7 comments:

Diana said...

I hope your warm weather is here to stay. Diana

Dawn said...

So funny! Katie and I went to the park too, and we saw garter snakes as well, even took a picture! You think Katie and Ricky are related somehow? :) I blogged about it before I went looking at everyone's entries today...we were probably at the park around the same time! LOL!

Sara said...

You and Dawn have the same exact photo on your blog of the snake! I thought I was having DeJaVu!

Lian said...

Lovely photos! Envy about your sunny weather!

Anonymous said...

Nice photos Ricky! Hope these snakes are harmless???

Love, Josh and Jess

Cowspotdog said...

That was a great walk in the park - except for the snakes - mom doesn't know the species here in the States so she is never sure if they are dangerous. It is nice to get out and about after what seemed a long winter but those nice days are are bit rough when you still have your winter coat on :) You know what is funny though, you have the same birds on your lake that I have on my lake.....two by two even.

Morgan in Pittsburgh said...

That looked like a fun day! I'm like you though, as soon as it starts to get a little warm, I start to get alot too hot! At least we don't live in Florida!
your pal Morgan