Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dogwalk Disaster

Well, the other day - Thursday to be exact - mom and I were out practicing agility in my backyard and mom sent me up the dogwalk with a very bad approach. I tried to do it any way, but I didn't get myself centered on the up ramp and had to scrabble to run and hang on to the board. By the time I got to the top, I couldn't hang on any more and I jumped off. Mom tried not to panic because she thought I seemed ok. She gave me treats and sent me back over the DW. Then we did a little more agility and all seemed fine. BUT later that same afternoon we wanted to make a video of a trick and it involved me putting my feet on mom's feet and I wouldn't do it. Then at dinner time I limped a little bit. Mom rested me all night and Friday morning I woke up and stretched normally and ran downstairs normally and mom thought all was good but didn't do any jumping with me yesterday. No limping, I was playing like usual and chasing cars, squirrels and motorcycles. So today mom tried a little agility after my morning walk (all looked good on the walk). I did jump and weave but I was very slow. So we stopped. I kept acting like I wanted to play tug, but each time mom got out the toy, I decided I didn't want to. And I only ran a couple steps after a motorcycle this morning and then stopped myself. Mom gave me a bath this afternoon and I got my typical after-bath zoomies and then limped a little. I am not really limping much. But I can't tug and I can't do tricks like under arrest and put my feet up on mom and cop cop (walk on her feet) but I can bow and stretch like that. Mom felt all over my front legs and checked range of motion (to the best of her ability) and I don't seem to have major problems that she can tell.

So - we don't want to panic. Has anyone ever had a similar experience on the dogwalk or similar movement restrictions? Could I just be sore and need a few days to feel better? I am not taking any medications (mom isn't sure what I could take with my sensitive stomach) and I haven't been to the vet yet. We are of course hoping that a little restriction in activity and a little more rest will heal me. I have one day of a trial a week from today, but mom is more than willing to pull me out of it. I am pretty good about showing mom that I don't feel 100% - like I don't want to play or run like usual. We're thinking of just waiting a little while longer to see.....but we realize there is a certain amount of risk of making something that wasn't serious more serious.

Tomorrow we go to grandpa and grandma's for Easter! Wilson and his family will be there. Guess I won't get to play my fetch and chase game with Wilson. Bummer! But I hope you all have a Happy Easter!

Gotta rest now.....

Ricky

16 comments:

Sara said...

OH NO! I sure hope it is nothing serious Ricky, and that a few days rest will have you back to normal.

I'm certainly no expert, but having spent WAY too much time googling stuff, your mom may want to ice whatever she thinks is hurting since it is a relatively new injury. Maybe 3x a day for 10 minutes would help.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Sorry 'bout that!

No help here -

Other than extra biskhuits and maybe some cheese ;-)

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Morgan in Pittsburgh said...

We don't know what happened to you Ricky, but we recommend a doggie chiropractor. I was limping awhile back, and everybody thought it was my left knee, because I was holding that leg up every once and awhile. but last week at the vet, it turned out it's my right knee that is more loose than my left knee - BOL! Anyhow - I have been going to the doggie chiropractor and I am much more bouncy than I have been for a long time. And I don't limp anymore. I am 6. I have fallen off the dog walk, run into steps and hit my face and bruised my nose. fallen down steps, and I can't remember what all..Mom thinks I probably should of seen the chiropractor after every one on those things. So, we suggest you start there. Find one that is certified by the American Veterinary Chiropractic Association. BTW - my health insurance is paying for 70% of the bill too!
Your pal, Morgan

Chris and Ricky said...

Sara - I deleted your repeat comments - hope you don't mind! Blogger does weird things!

I am not sure what to ice - seems like both of his front legs or shoulder might be affected. Would I ice both sides?

Sam said...

So sorry you fell off the DW, Ricky! Come to think of it, Marge fell off one in February and I remember how nerve-wracking it was, though I don't think she got injured from it.

I bet he jammed something. It's kind of a long fall for a small dog. I don't know much about injuries, but I agree with icing. I'd say to keep up your walks, too, and maybe just take it easy for a few days. If your mom still feels that something is wrong, maybe you can go to the vet during the week for an anti-inflammatory.

Feel better!

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

I hope you just is sore!
eep!
Don't worry yet.
~lickies, Ludo

Sara said...

I don't mind you deleting them! I guess its hard to ice, when you don't know where the pain is coming from exactly. You can try feeling the areas for a hot spot. That would indicate some inflammation. I use a bag of frozen peas and it covers most of oreo's leg and up into his hip.

Like Morgan, Oreo is getting a chiro adjustment on Wednesday.

Chris and Ricky said...

Well I just tried to ice Ricky's leg/shoulder - I don't have a package of frozen veggies but used a frozen pad thingy you get for people injuries at the drug store that we had in the freezer already. It's really hard to tell where to put the ice pack. I can't tell any hot spots. I am really trying not to panic. I thought he was ok on Thursday, then thought he would be ok after resting that night, thought he was fine yesterday and just realized he isn't today. I have that sick to my stomach feeling we all talk about....

Diana said...

Try not to worry. Probably a couple of days of rest will do the trick. Poor Ricky. Dont feel bad, sometimes things just happen. I know thats not helpful. Sorry. Diana

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Breeze used to fall off the dog walk a LOT, a whole lot-and usually just ended up sore. If Ricky doesnt seem to be doing better on Monday I would take him in for sure...I sure hope all is ok.

This does not help with this whole incident but with Breeze she fell off the dogwalk a lot, so I have done a lot of work on teaching her how to jump off, she has never jumped off when she should not but she really hurt herself one time scrambling to stay on (that was how she tore her ACL) and now I would always rather she just bail if she has to. I also did a lot of work after that on teaching her how to straighten herself out and not go on crooked even if I mess up giving her a nice entry.

Breeze fell off a lot and most of the time would just be sore for a couple of days, I made sure to walk her out and not let her get stiff, we did the ice, and all of that stuff, and kept her quiet except for walks as best we could.

I am sure sorry that happened, hope Ricky is all back to himself by Monday.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Hope my comment about Breeze tearing her ACL on the dog walk does not bring more worry, now i am worried about that, like I said most of the time when she did it it was just a little sore for a few days, but if it does not get better then always good to make sure it is nothing else. Dogwalks just scare me now when dogs scramble to hold onto them, scary to watch when it is your dog, I feel for you and for Ricky....sure it will be like the vast majority of dog walk injuries and just be a little pull...

Marie said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're limping and sore. I really think that it's likely you'll feel better with a couple more days rest. I'll be hoping that you've had a full recovery by next weekend!

Unknown said...

Hi Ricky. Oh dear. I hope you feel better soon. It's easter so I'm sure your mom will give you a well deserved rest and lots of treats.
To Ricky's mom, I don't think we will show Eva for a number of reasons - 1) Her hind legs are so weak and they are also cowhocked. We are worried that she may have hip problems when she's older. She's currently on joint supplements.
2) She will be spayed because there is a HUGE chance all her mom's illnesses have been passed to her. It is really worrying.

It's just nice to see what a great show dog she could be, but it's better to be a good family dog instead of having a title as champion don't you think?

Dawn said...

Oh no Ricky! I remember as a kid falling out of a tree, and I pulled muscles in my core trying not to fall, so maybe it's something like that and just has to heal. Either way I'm sure your Mom will take you to the vet tomorrow just to make sure! Today just rest up and watch Wilson play, you can play with him next trip!

Sagira said...

Oh no! I fell off the DW once b/c my daddy didn't line me up correctly. I hope you feel better soon.

Unknown said...

Oh no! Ricky - I'm only just catching up with your posts and only just read this now! Poor thing! I hope it was just a pulled muscle or something and nothing serious!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane