Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Last agility class of 2013

We went to our last class of the year yesterday morning. It had unexpectedly snowed the night before and the roads were a mess! No snow removal and tons of traffic. It took twice as long to get there as usual and it was a very stressful drive.

But I am glad we went. For the past few months I have been taking two classes back to back. I run my instructor's Sheltie Salsa in one and Ricky in another. Salsa is a pro - she is 9 years old and MACH 9. She teaches me how to do agility and I give her treats. :)

These days Ricky does the contacts and weaves class. I think this is perfect for him because the drills are shorter and there are not many jumps. Yesterday I really thought about "food play" from my play class and changed the way I reward him more into a game. I think he responded very well! He was definitely engaged for most of the class (except for the times he thought something on the floor was chicken and not fur or fuzz). He DID NOT want to go in his crate when his class was over.

Salsa is a trip! She would do agility all day long if she could and she barks at me when I am slow or she wants her turn or she wants some food or....well you get it. I am learning so much with her because of course my timing stinks. And I have trouble thinking. Haha! One day I hope to run her at a trial but I need much more practice first! Running Salsa is making me love agility again.

Toy play continues - yesterday we only had one session but Ricky got into the game very quickly. I was so excited that I didn't end the game soon enough and he beat me to it. :)

Chris and Ricky


4 comments:

Cowspotdog said...

It sounds like Salsa is lots of fun but not as cute as Ricky we bet :)

Sara said...

Glad to hear that Ricky is enjoying himself.

I admire you for learning how to run with the 'good' dogs :) I've decided that I don't ever want a high drive dog! I'm too slow and stupid to handle one.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Salsa is a great name for a dog. Sounds like she is full of energy. We think Ricky could zoom right past her in a competition though.

Diana said...

So glad you are having fun!