Sunday, December 29, 2013

Food Play

We are working on food play in the play class now. Very fun! Ricky loves it of course. 

It's not just like doing a trick for food - it involves games that get the dog's prey drive into high gear. Today we played a game where I throw a piece of food in one direction, he runs to get it, and then I call him and throw in the opposite direction. Ricky was really moving to get that food. There are other games as well - have him chase me to get the food, hide food around you and have him find it, and a few others. 

The cool thing today was Ricky's excitement about the food game lead to a game of where's the bunny! However, Ricky thinks the game is that he finds the bunny, doesn't tug, I snatch it up and say the bunny got away, and he starts looking again. Shelties - they just have to make up their own rules! :)

Chris and Ricky

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the food game will drive Eva crazy. LOL!
Except the 'leave it' command, we haven't played any good games before; may be we should try it out later.

Glad both of you had so much fun in the class!

Shelties are so cute, aren't they? :)


Sara said...

Food games are fun! And games are more fun when you make up your own rules. Go ricky!

Dawn said...

It's hard to stay ahead of the rules shelties make up. If I throw the toy wrong the game is over. But it's not clear to me what I did wrong. I'm sure she will enlighten me some day.

Cowspotdog said...

Shelties rule .....RULE!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

We agree about Shelties Rule! Shelties r pawsome.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

that is so cool that you picked up on that for Ricky the game is what it is. That is awesome, and how cool he was putting all that together. he really seems to like chasing that bunny down, lol.