Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Keep moving forward

Class today was about forward motion front crosses which are way better for me and Ricky than rear crosses. However, my problem continues to be that I get too far ahead of Ricky. So in one case, I was already rotated and finished with my FC before Ricky even got to the jump, and I presented him with complete collection cues. This does not work for my sensitive boy - he basically comes to a dead stop before jumping. I was told to try again and to send him to the jump and keep moving and this helped to motivate him a lot.

I watch the demonstrations of the "right" way to handle a sequence, but most of the time the "right" way doesn't apply to my team. My instructor has offered to let me run one of her dogs in class but I want to do agility with Ricky. So when will I finally get it in my head that I have to make my own handling decisions (often on the fly) to do what works best for us? I am lucky to have a teacher who will help me to look for those options!

We had fun though! And I really enjoy watching classmates and their dogs who have made significant progress. Class is my escape from reality - hard to think of anything else when doing agility!

6 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, i feel the same way about running other peoples dogs-I want to play with my dog! Think of all the things you have to learn because you have a sensitive dog....talk about making agility challenging!

Glad you had a good time. I know Ricky loves spending special time with his mama.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Glad u had fun. Pretty soon Ricky will be running faster than you and all u will see is a big zoom as he completes the agility course while u are standing at the start line.

Lian said...

Have you try "blind turn" instead of front cross? Often with a sensitive dog (even a young dog) will come to a halt when you suddenly do a FC. With the "blind turn", you don't have to face the dog and that gives no pressure and eye contact to the dog.

Diana said...

I think Lian is right! Try some blinds! Every dog is different and you have to know your dog.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

When I was reading I thought of blinds, but you know I think that is the coolest lesson we can ever learn is feeling good about not being afraid to be doing things different then everyone else and really listening to what your partner needs, that seems the true definition of working as a team, Ricky is truly lucky to have you, and you him!

Dawn said...

I remember having to make my own decisions when Katie and I were doing agility class. She was afraid of everything and I couldn't just do it the same way as everyone else. And I had to know when she was done and not pressure her. You're doing great with Ricky and as long as he is having fun that's all that matters.